Saturday, June 17, 2006

What I love about Petersburg

You know, sometimes we all (and by all, I certainly include myself) get so carried away in our constant attempt to improve our neighborhoods that we forget to mention all the great things in this fair city.

This morning I made my usual stop at the Saturday morning farmers' market downtown to pick up fresh eggs from Cardinal Hill Farm and bumped into neighbors and chatted and bought fresh local produce from Mr. Jarratt and others and chatted with the farmers and perused the city-wide yard sale that I knew nothing about until I spied it sprawling over the sidewalks downtown.

Then this evening Phil and I needed an attachment for a propane tank, so we went down to Thacker's on South Crater and got personal attention from knowledgable people and additional planting advice from Ted who used to be a local farmer and told us everything about gardening you could ever want to know, from growing radishes through the winter, to the specifics of growing cucmbers on a small plot, to adding amendments to the soil and rotating crops.

In P'burg, we can get great locally roasted coffee from a non-Starbucks establishment and spoil our well-intentioned diets on fabulous pastries made right here. We can experience an authentic British Pub and a French Cabaret without going to Europe, Epcot or Busch Gardens. We get to see those incredible performances by the amazingly cool VSU marching band and the fabulous baton girls at every little function the city throws. (And you know that's why I show up. I heart them. I do.) In Poplar Lawn specifically, we have this porch culture that I thought only existed in Country Time lemonade commercials. We live amongst this amazing architecture, history and diverse neighbors.

It is all so much a part of my everyday that I just take it for granted. But seriously, where else on earth can you live like this?

And with that said, I am not going soft; I am on totally on the warpath for traffic control on Marshall Street!

~Mady

1 Comments:

At June 21, 2006 2:14 PM , Blogger Save Petersburg said...

Merci, Roquentin. L'admit! Tu es plus gentil que tu feins!

~Mady

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home