Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A Goodbye to Christine and Christopher Shorr

Yesterday, our neighbors Christine and Christopher Shorr left for new adventures North of the Mason Dixon line. As a friend, I will miss their overwhelming sense of generosity and kindness, their creativity, and their incomprable entertaining. As a member of this fair city, I feel their loss in the myriad projects they have put into place, the connections they have made between people, and the organizations they have served, even founded.

When I first came to Petersburg five years ago, Christine, the president of the Historic Poplar Lawn Association at that time, was one of the first people that I met. She welcomed my overwhelmed self, a complete stranger whose husband had not yet moved to join me in our monstrosity-project of a house, into her home to show me photos of their house when they started working on it. She encouraged me. She made me an instant friend.

That house, where I have spent countless wonderful hours eating amazing food, imbibing, dancing, playing board games or Guitar Hero, and laughing---always laughing---with a good portion of Petersburg's residents, was condemned when they purchased it. Every beautiful detail was lovingly restored by them, eclectically decorated. It became a house full of life and love. I cannot believe that today it stands empty.

That house was where Sycamore Rouge started, people brought together by Christopher before there was ever a building or funding. It started with his idea. Sycamore Rouge was a passion: it was exciting to watch the entire entity grow from nothing, to be a part of it, to have new people move to Petersburg and get involved because they were brought together by these kinetic people, their home, their projects.

Even in their departure, Christopher and Christine were bringing people together: they made sure that the woman purchasing their home met many of their neighbors on their way out of town. Ladonna is lovely. She will make a great addition to our community, and she promises to keep up the great parties in a house that just seems to be built for entertaining.

And so, I wish our friends well---with a sad heart for myself and my community, but with a joyful one for them and their newest adventures---and thank them for helping our neighborhood and city on its way. Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, where they are headed is so very, very fortunate.

edit, added 07/09/08: Petersburg Peoples News
edit, added 07/24/08: Progress Index

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At July 09, 2008 7:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

bon voyage...

 
At July 10, 2008 5:14 AM , Blogger Amy said...

Very well said. I miss them already!

 
At August 05, 2008 7:45 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

It truly sad to see such creative people leave Petersburg. Our daughter, Annamarie, was able to both work and volunteer at Sycamore Rouge while she was a student at ARGS. She has continued her passion for theater during college because of Christopher's influence. I am sorry to see another neighbor who truly cared about the children in this neighborhood move away. I know that our children will definitely miss the Shore's Haunted Halloween house. I guess Paula Mims will have to return to her front porch as a wicked witch this Halloween!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home